Congratulations on your new dentures! Whether this is your first set or you’ve had them before, it’s important to know how to take care of them so that they last. With proper care, your dentures can last anywhere from 5 to 10 years. Here are some tips from the experts on how to take care of your new dentures.
1. Handle with Care: Your dentures are delicate and can break if dropped, so handle them with care. When you’re not wearing them, store them in a safe place where they won’t get knocked over.
2. Clean Them Daily: Just like natural teeth, new dentures need to be brushed daily to remove food particles and plaque. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and nonabrasive toothpaste made specifically for dentures. Avoid using whitening toothpastes as they may contain harsh chemicals that can damage your dentures.
3. Soak Them Nightly: To keep your dentures clean and moist, soak them in a cleaning solution overnight. This will also help remove any stains that have built up over time. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how to properly soak your dentures.
4. See Your Dentist Regularly: It’s important to see your dentist at least once a year for a professional cleaning and checkup. During these appointments, your dentist will also check for any fit issues and make any necessary adjustments.
5. Don’t Forget to brush Your Gums: Even though you don’t have natural teeth anymore, it’s still important to brush your gums every day to remove plaque and stimulate blood flow. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush or an electric toothbrush designed specifically for cleaning gums.
6. Be Patient: It may take some time getting used to eating and speaking with your new dentures. Be patient and give yourself time to adjust. If you have any trouble eating or speaking, be sure to see your dentist right away as there may be an issue with the fit of your dentures.
7. Know When to Replace Them: Even with proper care, dentures will eventually need to be replaced due to wear and tear. If you notice cracks, chips, or looseness, it’s time for a new pair of dentures.
Taking care of your new dentures is important if you want them to last for many years. Handle them with care, clean them daily, soak them nightly, see your dentist regularly, don’t forget to brush your gums, be patient while adjusting, and know when it’s time for a new pair. By following these simple tips, you can enjoy your new smile for years to come!